2020 Online Award Presentation
Pause the video anytime to read more about a book or author. Enjoy!
2020 Hackmatack Virtual Author Visits
Instead of an author tour, we presented a number of virtual visits. Click here to see the English authors.
A number of our 2020-21 shortlisted titles are available as ebooks. Click the links below to see the available books.
- Halifax Public Libraries – Bibliocommons
- Halifax Public Libraries – Overdrive
- Nova Scotia Public Libraries outside Halifax – Overdrive
- New Brunswick Public Library Service – Overdrive
- PEI Public Library Service – Overdrive
- Newfoundland & Labrador Public Libraries – Overdrive
Hackmatack titles for readers with print disabilities
You don’t have to be in a Hackmatack reading club to enjoy the books. And you don’t have to be a conventional reader.
The Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) is an accessible library service, providing books and other materials to Canadians of all ages with print disabilities.
You can get these titles from your public library, or through the CELA website.
We’d like to thank CELA for the wonderful work they do. Their collection has more than 700,000 professionally produced titles, with an emphasis on Canadian authors and stories, and favourites for kids and teens.
Call for Volunteer Board Members
We’re expanding our volunteer board!
We’re committed to ensure Atlantic Canadian children see themselves, their lives, environments, and stories in the books they read. We want our board to also reflect the diversity of our communities.
We are looking for individuals:
- with enthusiasm for literacy and a love of children’s books;
- who are able to share their passion and great ideas at the three board meetings that take place each year (in September, December, and March) either in person or by telephone or Skype/Zoom;
- who are willing to assist with the annual awards ceremony in late May;
- who have skills they are willing to contribute to the program (eg., writing grant applications, spearheading fundraising initiatives, handling the society’s bookkeeping)
Please send a brief expression of interest to email@example.com including your name and contact information and what interests you about being a member of the Hackmatack board.
** We welcome interested parties to self-identify in any way they feel comfortable as well as including any insight into pertinent work/volunteer experience.